A Second Amendment Sanctuary refers to counties, townships, cities, or other localities in Minnesota that have adopted resolutions or ordinances to prohibit or impede the enforcement of unconstitutional gun control legislation such as universal background checks, red flag laws, "assault weapon" bans, magazine restrictions, or other Metro-DFL driven anti-gun policies at the state legislature.
These resolutions send a strong message to the state legislature that the people, represented through their country governments, are opposed to ineffective and unconstitutional gun control measures.
The Second Amendment Sanctuary movement in Minnesota is driven at a local, grassroots level by engaged citizens and activists pushing their county boards to pass Second Amendment Sanctuary Resolutions.
The Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus is providing this resource page to serve as a hub for news related to Second Amendment Sanctuary Counties in Minnesota - and provide templates, model resolutions, and other resources to help local grassroots activists push their counties to become Second Amendment Sanctuary counties.
Second Amendment Sanctuary versus Second Amendment "Dedicated" Counties
Some counties have chosen to use the "Second Amendment Sanctuary" language in their adopted resolutions while others have referred to themselves as a "Second Amendment Dedicated County". Counties have generally chosen to use the "dedicated county" language to avoid similarity with "sanctuary cities" for immigration purposes.
We do not take a position on what language is used - the practical effect of the resolution remains the same.
Counties that have passed a Second Amendment Sanctuary Resolution
- Red Lake
Groups working on Second Amendment Sanctuary Resolutions
- Aitkin County: Aitkin County, MN - Sanctuary for the Second Amendment
- Anoka County: Make Anoka County a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary Group
- Beltrami County: Beltrami County 2A Sanctuary
- Benton County: Benton County for 2A Sanctuary
- Cass County: Cass County Minnesota 2nd Amendment Dedicated (Sanctuary) County
- Carlton County: Carlton County for 2A Sanctuary
- Chisago County: Chisago County for 2A
- Cottonwood County: Cottonwood County 2nd Amendment Coalition
- Crow Wing County: Patriots for Crow Wing 2A Sanctuary County
- Dakota County: Dakota County MN Citizens for 2A Sanctuary
- Douglas County: Douglas County MN for 2A Sanctuary
- Hubbard County: Hubbard County MN for 2a Sanctuary
- Isanti County: Make Isanti County MN a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary
- Itasca County: Make Itasca County a 2A Dedicated County
- Kanabec County: Kanabec County for 2A Sanctuary
- Koochiching County: Make Koochiching County a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary
- Mahnomen County: Mahnomen County 2A Community
- Marshall County: Marshall County 2nd Amendment Coalition
- Meeker County: Meeker County for 2A Sanctuary
- Mille Lacs County: Mille Lacs County for 2A Sanctuary
- Minnesota: Minnesotans for 2A Sanctuary
- Morrison County: Morrison County 2nd Amendment Coalition
- Olmsted County: Make Olmsted County a 2A Sanctuary County
- Pennington County: Pennington County 2nd Amendment Coalition
- Pine County: Pine County 2nd Amendment Sanctuary County
- Polk County: Polk County 2nd Amendment Rights Coalition
- Ramsey County: Ramsey County 2A Defenders
- Rice County: Rice County for Second Amendment Sanctuary
- Roseau County: Roseau County 2nd Amendment Coalition
- Saint Louis County: Make St Louis County MN a 2A Dedicated County
- Scott County: Scott County Defenders
- Sherburne County: Make Sherburne County a Second Amendment Defender
- Sibley County: Sibley County 2A Coalition
- Stearns County: Stearns County 2nd Amendment Sanctuary
- Steele County: Steele County 2A Coalition
- Todd County: Todd County MN for 2A Sanctuary
- Wabasha County: Make Wabasha County a 2A Sanctuary
- Washington County: Make Washington County MN a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary County
- Wright County: Second Amendment Defenders Group
If you are aware of another group pushing for a county to become a Second Amendment Sanctuary County, please send us a link to the group at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll add to this page.
How to push your county to become a Second Amendment Sanctuary County
It's important to remember that this is a local, grassroots-driven effort. While we are happy to provide expertise and advice, you'll need to do the heavy lifting in your county to push your county commissioners to adopt the resolution through letter writing, phone calls, emails, and good old fashioned in-person political pressure.
Here are some recommended steps for you to take:
- Check our list above and search on Facebook to see if a group is already working on such a resolution. If so, join their effort.
- If not, create a Facebook Group to coordinate actions with other grassroots activists. Send a link to the group to us at email@example.com and we'll add to our list on this page.
- Talk with your County Sheriff - perhaps through someone who has an existing relationship with him/her. Approach, sit down and discuss the 2A Sanctuary movement. Sound them out in an attempt to gain their support.
- Use our model resolution language below along with the letter to send an email or letter to each of your county commissioners asking for them to consider becoming a Second Amendment Sanctuary or "Second Amendment Dedicated County". Be sure to personalize the letter in any way you think best represents your feelings and thoughts on why they should take this action.
- Continue to email and call your county commissioners to push them to take action.
- Look at your county website and see when the next meeting of county commissioners is happening. Attend and ask to speak during the public comment period. Tell them about the Second Amendment Sanctuary resolution and urge them to adopt it. Bring plenty of friends and like minded people.
- If they refuse, keep emailing, calling, and attending meetings - get more friends and neighbors to do the same. Do not give up until they adopt or take on the resolution.
- If you do all of the above and continue to be stonewalled, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for advice. Keep in mind that strong blue counties like Hennepin County and Ramsey County are unlikely to adopt such a resolution.
Model Second Amendment Sanctuary Resolution
Get our model resolution for use with your county commissioners at this link. Fill in the blanks with the name of your county.
Template - Letter to County Commissioners
Get our template for a letter to your county commissioners at this link. Customize to fit your tone, personality, and specific ask of your county commissioners.
Selected News Coverage
- "Three more Minnesota counties declare themselves Second Amendment sanctuaries", MinnPost, February 19th, 2020
- "Senator Mathews advocates for 2nd Amendment Sanctuary in Mille Lacs County", MN Senate Republican Caucus, February 19th, 2020
- "Wadena County votes to become 'Second Amendment Dedicated County'", Duluth News Tribune, February 18th, 2020
- "More Minnesota counties declare themselves gun 'sanctuaries'", Star Tribune, February 18th, 2020
- "Roseau becomes first MN county designated as Second Amendment sanctuary", Center of the American Experiment, February 17, 2020
- "Roseau County Board to Minnesota Legislature: Hands off our guns", Star Tribune, February 14, 2020
- "Minnesota county is first to declare itself a 'sanctuary' for Second Amendment", Pioneer Press, February 12, 2020
- "Roseau County becomes Second Amendment 'sanctuary'", Bring Me The News, February 12, 2020
- "Minnesota county asked to be a 'Second Amendment sanctuary'", KARE-11, January 22, 2020
- State Representative Jeremy Munson's Second Amendment Sanctuary County page
- New House Republican Caucus Second Amendment Sanctuary County page