In this issue, Anoka Technical College, part of the Minnesota State University System, had illegally prohibited all lawful carry of firearms at the college, which is a subdivision of government. Government entities in Minnesota are preempted under MN 624.714, Subd. 23 from 'limiting the exercise of a permit to carry'. Anoka Technical College had instituted this ban as a part of a memorandum of understanding between the College and a local school district that used a small portion of the campus, itself a violation of MN 609.66, Subd. 1d(d).
- The College and the Anoka-Hennepin School District entered in a revised Memorandum of Understanding that properly limited their actions to what was allowable under law.
- The College suspended its 'conceal and carry policy' pending revisions to ensure it is in compliance with state statutes and the revised MOU.
MINNESOTA GUN OWNERS CAUCUS TIMELINE & ACTIONS
The Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus initiated these legal actions, which were resolved without resorting to litigation.
- September 24th, 2019: Initial letter from our attorney to the President of Anoka Technical College.
- October 8th, 2019: Letter from Minnesota State University System acknowledging letter and specifying representation.
- October 31st, 2019: Letter from Minnesota State acknowledging the issue and outlining their resolution, which resolved the issue in this case.
COUNSEL OF RECORD
The Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus was represented in this case by Harry Niska of Howse & Thompson, P.A. in Plymouth, MN.
WANT TO SUPPORT OUR LEGAL & LITIGATION EFFORTS?
Our affiliated 501(c)(3), the Minnesota Gun Owners Support Fund, underwrites the majority of our legal action efforts.
You can also support our Support Fund through your purchases on Amazon through the Amazon Smile program. It takes just a few minutes to set up through our easy step-by-step guide.